The Woolly Way of Ireland
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Read any good books recently?

2 posters

Go down

Read any good books recently? Empty Read any good books recently?

Post  Ashar Sat Sep 25, 2010 11:27 am

Its a traditional small talk starter so lets see if we can throw a few ideas out Smile . Has anyone got/read any interesting craft books recently.?

Does Fabric Art belong on Wooly Way? I recently got The Art of Manipulating Fabric by Colette Wolfe. I loved it! Its a bit difficult to say why as it is most definitely a how-to rather than a look-what-I-did book. I found it very inspiring though. Fascinating angles on pleating and smocking and gathering fabric, I had done the basics many times, but there are suggestions for really ingenious and creative ways of using them. Also some techniques that are not often seen - well I haven't seen them for a while anyway. Italian and North American smocking for example. Definitely interesting possibilities for mixed media and free-style embroidery as well as traditional versions. A technically precise rather than pretty book, though all the samples are done on white fabric and look very attractive, and beautiful photography and diagrams. I think it is one that I will return to again and again, and it will never go out of date.

Ashar

Back to top Go down

Read any good books recently? Empty Re: Read any good books recently?

Post  Woolly Way Mon Oct 18, 2010 1:21 am

Ashar, you are great to try get this place chatting! I just haven't had the time to update/check in. The poor blog got a bit behind during the summer. I'm a big bookworm myself, feel free to talk about any books whatsoever. I had intended to start a craft book review page, but it's on the list of things to do...

That book looks great. I, too, love books that you can go back to again and again for inspiration.

Woolly Way
Admin

http://www.woollyway.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum